Saturday 24 March 2018

High Contrast @ Electric Ballroom

Those of you who heard me on Popmaster on Thursday will know that last night I went to see High Contrast at the Electric Ballroom last night. This was the second time I'd seen him live though I'd seen him DJ previously. It was actually just over a year ago when I saw him do his first live show in London, I misremembered it as being 2016 when I mentioned it on the radio.

One of the notable differences between seeing him live and seeing him DJ is that you don't have to stay up all night to see him which suits someone of my age. That said, there seemed to be plenty of schoolchildren there who were probably 25 in reality.

One thing I remember from last time was that he arrived on stage early, this time I looked at my watch when he arrived on stage, not as early as before but was 20:28 when his stage time was 20:30, if only all live performers could be like this.

He began with "Love On A 45" from his latest album which is one of my favourites from his new album and a good choice to start with. Then came the classics "Racing Green" and "Basement Track" from his excellent "High Society" album.

Next up came his Drum & Bass take on "Tobacco Road" by the Nashville Teens from his latest album. He then did one of the non-Drum & Bass tracks from his new album "I Get High".

Other tunes which followed included a Drum & Bass remix of "Shotgun Mouthwash" from the Trainspotting 2 film, "If We Ever" where he paid tribute to the late Diane Charlemagne who originally provided vocals, a new 2018 track and another non-Drum & Bass track from his new album, the appropriately titled "The Beat Don't Feel the Same" which evolved into a Drum & Bass remix.

We also had his remix of "Rez" by Underworld and then once again "The Road Goes On Forever" took the crowd up a gear. He then played "Twilight's Last Gleaming" which his said was one of his favourites which would explain why I don't think I've ever seen a High Contrast set where he hasn't played it.

He finished off with "Questions" from the new album, "How Love Begins" which was his collaboration with DJ Fresh and finally "Remind Me" from his latest album.

The gig was over by 21:45 and I was home just after 22:30 which is early for any gig let alone someone you could only previously see in the early hours.

It was a top performance and at just £12.50 a ticket it was a complete bargain considering the rip off prices some people charge these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment