Sunday 1 October 2017

25 Years Since....September 1992

25 years and 1 day since doesn't quite have the same ring to it, here are some tunes I was enjoying in September 1992:
Brian May - Too Much Love Will Kill You

After including a Freddie Mercury record last month, it's Brian Mays turn this month. I first heard this at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert earlier in the year and assumed it was a tribute song to Freddie Mercury, but it wasn't, it actually turned out to be a Queen song which was a Queen hit in 1996.

Shortly after this came out I got the Brian May album "Back To the Light" which had just come out. It included the previous years hit "Driven By You" and a couple more minor hits, by the time the last one came out in June the following year I'd moved on.

Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode


I was still quite young in 1992 so didn't realise at the time that this record was considered to be controversial. To be honest I actually had no idea what was being sang in the chorus, I've never been particularly good at making out lyrics.

At the time I used to get a lift to school with somebody else's mum and whenever this came on she would change the station. Now I know why she did it, but at the time I thought she simply couldn't stand it which obviously made me like it more.

East 17 - House Of Love

This is where it all began for the chart career of East 17. I was still unbiased when it came to what was cool and uncool in music at the time and thought this was great.

Their rivals Take That had only had one big hit to date and I don't recall there being a rivalry between the two groups at this point. A few months later it became apparent that if you were a male you weren't supposed to like Take That and I could see why. When East 17 got lumped into that category I thought it was a bit harsh.

INXS - Baby Don't Cry

I was already familiar with INXS by this point and had liked several of their previous hits. This one however caught my attention more. What struck me is how the lead vocals sound like the backing vocals on the chorus and at the same time the chorus sounds like it could be the verse,  maybe I'm the only one who hears it like that.

A few months later when Guns N Roses took the place of Queen as my favourite band, INXS became my second favourite band for a period of time and a lot of that is down to this record.

The Prodigy - Fire

True story, at the time I was unaware this was actually in the charts or by The Prodigy. There was a TV series called "Sounds of the 60s" I would watch with my parents and on one episode "Fire" by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown came on. All I heard was "I am the god of hellfire" and then my mum changed the channel because she didn't like it. Therefore I thought this was the same tune.

Obviously my mum not liking it gave me a reason to like it, but also I thought it sounded way ahead of its time for a 60s record!

I did eventually find out it was The Prodigy sampling that record and it made much more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment