Monday 21 August 2017

Record of the Year 1987: Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin


There were a few candidates, but given it was the first year I remember the charts it only seemed right that I pick what was my favourite song back in 1987.

I would always get excited when it would come on the radio at the time. It was purely from a musical perspective, being so young I had no idea what it was about and was yet to encounter music genres or what's cool or uncool. In fact this was how I learned there was a word called "sin" but never knew what it meant until some time later.

As I got older I started to appreciate the lyrics more but it is still first and foremost about the music.

Later on that year the Pet Shop Boys taught me another word via their music, "rent". Again it wasn't until some time later I knew what that meant. It was also their version of "Always On My Mind" that I heard first and I absolutely loved it, but this one just pips it.

Their chart record is a lot better than many would think. They had four number ones and were regularly having Top 40 hits up till 2009 and not too many acts have had more Top 40 hits than them. They continue to release new albums and stay relevant to the present day rather than sounding like they're still in the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment