Monday 14 August 2017

Record of the Year 1986: Farley Jackmaster Funk - Love Can't Turn Around


As someone who was obsessed with all things Rave in the 90s, it's only fitting that I pick a record where it all began.

When I first got into Rave I became aware of who the early pioneers of the sound were with Farley Jackmaster Funk being one of them. I knew the story of the British DJs going to Ibiza in 1987 and the second summer of love in 1988, so was quite surprised to find when looking through my British Hit Singles book that this record charted in 1986.

In the mid 90s I owned a Farley Jackmaster Funk tape, knew of this records existence but didn't actually know the record, but particularly wanted to hear it being the earliest example of Rave music I could find.

Then one day I was watching an episode of Top of the Pops 2 and this record appeared, I wasn't disappointed. Comparing it to what else was around at the time, it certainly is different.

Although this would be his only Top 40 hit, he still remains active today on the DJ circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment