Monday 24 July 2017

Record of the Year 1984: Phil Fearon & Galaxy - What Do I Do


Apparently back in 1984, my young self would stand up in front of my family and sing "I Just Called To Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder, something I have absolutely no memory of. Fortunately my music tastes have moved on since then, it was never even a consideration for my record of the year.

My choice is "What Do I Do" by Phil Fearon & Galaxy. This is thanks in part to the Top of the Pops reruns. I already knew this record beforehand but the one from Phil Fearon & Galaxy that's always stood out to me is "Everybody's Laughing", also from 1984. However, I've been enjoying this record so much from the Top of the Pops reruns and have since listened to "Everybody's Laughing" a few times, but have decided I now prefer this one.

Despite the name suggesting there is a group behind this, there isn't, it's just Phil Fearon himself. This was the third top 40 hit for Phil Fearon & Galaxy, but he had previous chart success back in 1979 as a member of Kandiate. Prior to that he was one of the founding members of Hi-Tension.

One of the backing vocalists on this is Dee Fearon, who as you may have guessed is Phil's wife. But she was also the singer for Baby D in the 90s.

He would go on to run the Production House Records label who's acts included Baby D plus other acts from the rave scene such as Acen and The House Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment