Monday 10 July 2017

Record of the Year 1982: PHD - I Won't Let You Down


Once upon a time there were two types of compilations you were guaranteed to find in the record shops, love compilations and 80s compilations. The reality was you only really needed one of each as you'd never really get much variation between them.

However, a decade or so ago I came across an 80s love compilation which had several good tracks you wouldn't typically find on love or 80s compilations, and as such I bought it.

My record of the year for 1982 was one of those tracks. I honestly can't remember if I had heard it before buying the CD, but it certainly stands out as one of the better tracks on there. What makes it for me is when the synth hook kicks in.

This was the only top 40 hit for PHD who took the name from the first letters of the band members surnames, Simon Phillips, Tony Hymas and Jim Diamond.

Jim Diamond would go onto have a solo number one with "I Should Have Known Better" in 1984, but he reformed PHD with Tony Hymas in 2006 and sadly died in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment