Monday 17 July 2017

Record of the Year 1983: Depeche Mode - Everything Counts


When I was younger, Depeche Mode were a bit of a mystery group to me. I'd always heard of them but wasn't sure whether they were a cheesy 80s group or one you're supposed to take more seriously. The two record that would spring to my mind when they were mentioned was "Just Can't Get Enough" and "Personal Jesus", so one that's very much pop and another which is quite dark.

Around a decade or so ago I was getting into the darker side of electro and listened to "Enjoy the Silence" for the first time in years and realised how good it was. This is turn lead to me listening to other Depeche Mode hits, and like "Enjoy the Silence", I realised just how good this record was too.

This record showcases the light and dark side of the group, the verses sung by Dave Gahan being dark and the chorus sung by Martin Gore being light, but with a darker lyrical content about corporate greed and corruption.

To my original question when I was younger, well they are still going, releasing new music and playing to big crowds all over the world, definitely more of a group to take seriously than a cheesy 80s group.

No comments:

Post a Comment