Wednesday 24 May 2017

Record of the Year 1977: Mr Big - Romeo




My record of the year for 1977 is a record which got banned by the BBC because of the explicit lyrics. No not that one, it's "Romeo" by Mr Big.

Your probably wondering "what explicit lyrics?". Well according to an interview with band member Dicken the lyrics in question were “‘Step back inside me, Romeo,’ she said” and “Fall on me, make me grow” which the BBC said implied innuendo, but that wasn't the intention of the song.

The ban was lifted and the appeared on Top of the Pops and it was through the reruns that I heard it for the first time. It was early on in the year when there was a lot of rubbish on the shows, but this stood out as being one of the good songs for no apparent reason.

They had one more hit, "Feel Like Calling Home", later on that year but that didn't really leave an impression on my.

They are not to be confused with Mr Big from the 90s, they are a completely different group.

No comments:

Post a Comment