Thursday 8 August 2024

2007: The End? - August

It was more of a low key month for indie music in August though there was still more of it than any other genre. I must have been in the mood for indie music today because only half the indie records are getting zero.

Manic Street Preachers had a hit with "Autumnsong", not one I remember but was pleasantly surprised to find myself liking it. Likewise there were hits from The Coral and The Pigeon Detectives, bands who I know the name but not really the music but found myself enjoying the tunes. There's also a half mark going to Hard Fi with "Suburban Knights".

Also helping to boost the score this month are tunes from the Galaxy Chart on MTV Dance. The best one is "I Found U" by Axwell, loving the breakbeats in this one. Then we have "Rise Up" by Yves Larock which is decent and I even quite like the David Guetta record "Love Is Gone" which grew on me when watching the show. Finally there's a half mark for Robyn with "With Every Heartbeat". 

The Simpsons movie was out around this time and from it we have "The Simpsons Theme" by Green Day and "Spider Pig" by The Simpsons. I'm giving full marks to both of these due to the entertainment value they both have.

No marks from the rap and R&B world this month and it seems like we're about to enter the era where both genres merge into electropop so I don't hold much hope for points from here moving forward. The 2 strongest candidates for worst record are examples of this, "Shut Up and Drive" by Rihanna and "Green Light" by Beyonce. I'm going to go with Rihanna because she has a slightly more annoying voice than Beyonce.

Here's a list of the records with the best on top, worst at the bottom and the good ones in green, OK ones in amber and rubbish ones in red (and in no particular order):


Score: 29%

Here's a look at the chart:


Wow, the joint best month we've looked at so far. Will it all come crashing down in September?

No comments:

Post a Comment