Thursday 23 November 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1992

Top 40

Best Song: The Prodigy - Ruff In The Jungle Bizness

Probably one of the most obscure Top 40 hits from The Prodigy, partly because of the much better known "Out Of Space" being the other side of the double a-side. It's one of the best tracks on "The Experience" album and is the sort of direction jungle music was taking before it became too dark.

Worst Song: Rod Stewart - Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda)

I remember singing "Waltzing Matilda" at primary school so it was already uncool because of that association. Then Rod Stewart did a version and I remember thinking what's this old duffer doing still having Top 40 hits.

Top 40 Review

Around Christmas 1992 I was into modern music in a big way, so the question is was the Top 40 as good as I thought it was?

Let's begin with the Christmas number one which was "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston which stayed there well into 1993. At the time I would single this out as being one of the crap records of the modern era.

I did like the Christmas number two "Heal The World" by Michael Jackson at the time, but as time has gone on I have little time for soppy rubbish like this.

The record at number three on the other hand "Would I Lie To You" by Charles & Eddie was pretty much my favourite record at the time and I still think it's decent now. I like the record at number four too, "Could It Be Magic" by Take That which is about the only record of theirs I do like from this era.

Lower down in the charts we have a bit of a transition from my perspective. There's "In My Defence" from Freddie Mercury, a decent record but came at a time I was going off Queen for being too old. At the same time there was "Mrs Robinson" by The Lemonheads which to me was making an old song modern style the way it should be and a bit of a fuck you to older music.

Another highlight was the Brother in Rhythm remix of "Temptation" by Heaven 17 which I'll always remember as being the first song to be played at the first school disco I went to.

We were nearing the end of the rave era in the Top 40. In addition to The Prodigy we had "Way In My Brain/Drumbeats" by SL2 which is also decent. At the same time though we had the god awful "We Are Raving - The Anthem" by Slipstreem.

Overall it wasn't a bad Top 40 but far from the best.

Score: 17.5

Table

The charts certainly took a dip at the end of 1992:



No comments:

Post a Comment