Thursday 30 November 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1990

Top 40

Best Song: INXS - Disappear

A couple of years ago I was watching a home video from Christmas in 1990 and my young self said that my favourite song in the whole world was this. It's only appropriate that I pick it then given there's video evidence of it. Aside from that though it's a top tune and definitely worthy of best song.

Worst Song: Madonna - Justify My Love

I found myself drawn to picking this record but then questioning it because I think I've picked a Madonna record for worst song more than once already. Then again when you have as many hits as Madonna maybe it's to be expected. This one always irritated me.

Top 40 Review

Sticking with the home video of my young self in 1990, another record in this Top 40 that I mentioned liking was "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers. It was the 2nd time this record reached the Top 40 and there was another record by The Righteous Brothers in this Top 40 for a 2nd time in "Unchained Melody". 

Overall 1990 was a pretty solid year, but the Christmas charts are more a summary of what was wrong with 1990. I count 10 records which are either old records or medleys of older records i.e. a quarter of the charts which seems excessive.

The Christmas hits come from Cliff Richard with "Saviours Day" and Shakin Stevens with "The Best Christmas of Them All". Both are really them capitalising on their previous Christmas successes. 

There was the future though in "Sadeness Part 1" by Enigma which was their Top 40 debut and would top the charts in 1991. We also had the Top 40 debut as a solo artist for Seal with "Crazy" both decent records that I'd associate more with 1991 than 1990.

A couple of anthems with the "baggy" sound but not from Manchester. These were "All Together Now" by The Farm and "Unbelievable" by EMF.

A few highlights in there then but I did notice when reviewing 1990 than the scores were nosediving towards Christmas time so I know the score isn't going to be the best.

Score: 14.5

Table

Despite me losing the will to live when reviewing the Top 30 by the time it reached Christmas it was still one of the better Christmas charts:



No comments:

Post a Comment