Thursday 30 June 2022

25 Years Since....June 1997

Once again there were lots of underground tunes I was enjoying in June 1997 but these are the ones from the charts I liked:


The Sneaker Pimps - Six Underground

I've just realised I featured this when we were turning the clock back to 1996 and it re-entered the Top 40 in 1997. Instead of picking another record though, lets just enjoy this again.

Chicane - Sunstroke

This was the 2nd Top 40 hit for Chicane and the follow up to "Offshore". I'm pretty sure I first heard this record on the ITV show "Club Nation". It seems the right sort of time for it.

Chicane were always one of those acts I always liked despite being commercial and making slower records than what I was typically listening to at the time.

Roni Size/Reprazent - Share The Fall

I definitely remember this one on "Club Nation" and seeing Roni Size and DJ Krust being interviewed. Both had been big names in the drum & bass scene for some time, but this was their Top 40 debut.

At the same time I was pissed off that they were taking drum & bass into the charts. 

The Brand New Heavies - You Are The Universe

This record has had such an impact on me that whenever I come across the word "universe" this record comes into my head. It features Siedah Garrett on vocals and she's a far better singer than N'Dea Davenport in my opinion.

Like with all decent Brand New Heavies tunes though it's all about the groove.


ETA - Casual Sub (Burning Spear)

You could be forgiven for thinking that ETA is one of the many aliases of Norman Cook. It does sound like it could be a Fatboy Slim record, but he had nothing to do with it. In fact whilst he was playing as Fatboy Slim by this point he was yet to breakthrough commercially.

ETA were a Danish duo and this was their one and only Top 40 hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment