Monday 28 February 2022

25 Years Since....February 1997

Time to go back to 1997 to look at the record I was enjoying:


The BlueBoy - Remember Me

My one reservation about this record was it being too slow. It wouldn't have really worked as a fast tune though.

I remember this and "Your Woman" by White Town being out around the same sort of time. I guess there are similarities between the two.

The Orb - Toxygene

The Orb were one of the pioneers of ambient house which as the name suggests is generally slow. They turned up the tempo on this record though. Although nowhere near as quick as the rave music I was listening to at the time it was quick for an Orb record.

I also own the "Orblivion" album on which this appears.

Amen! UK - Passion

Amen! UK was one of many aliases of Paul Masterson who had previously charted as Candy Girls and Dorothy. 

I loved the main riff to this, it made up for the fact it wasn't as fast as a typical tune I would listen to at the time.

Apollo 440 - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub

I had no problem with the speed of this record, it was spot on. A reservation I did have though was seeing them on Top of the Pops with a drum kit. I was basically anti-instruments at the time and thought all good music should have programmed drums which were impossible to play on an actual drum kit.

It wasn't enough to stop me from liking the tune though, was definitely one of the best commercial records of its time.


SL2 - On A Ragga Tip '97

I bought the CD single of this. SL2 were Slipmatt and Lime and by this point I owned several Slipmatt tapes. 

The main radio edit of this remix was by Goodfellos who were Tall Paul and Darren Stokes who was one half of Tin Tin Out. This was the version I listened to the least though, I preferred the Slipmatt remix and Force & Styles remix which both appeared on the single.

The original was also on the CD but by this point it sounded so slow in comparison to how the music had evolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment