Thursday 28 October 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2001

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Daft Punk - Digital Love

This was their follow up to "One More Time". I owned the "Discovery" album by the time this single came out and feared it would get played to death like "One More Time" as its a much better tune in my option. Fortunately that proved not to be the case meaning I'm still fond of this record to this very day.

Worst Song: Allstars - Best Friend

I remember seeing this on the music channels at the time and finding it amusing to see Darren Osbourne from Hollyoaks singing on it. In an era of S Club 7, Steps etc I was used to ridiculously cheesy pop music but this really took it to another level. I've since found out the group were part of a kids TV show which kind of explains it, but deary me.

Top 40 Review

In early 2001 Ash made a comeback and predicted that 2001 will be the year of rock music. Taking the definition of rock to be guitar based music, they kind of had a point.

We were seeing Nu Metal in the charts via Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and Garage Rock via The Strokes. Travis and Stereophonics continued to have hits and James had their final Top 40 hit to date. We also had The Offspring chart with "A Million Miles" away, but this was the only record out of that lot which I like.

Dance music wise the highlights were "Do You Really Like It" by DJ Pied Piper, a record I'd heard on a garage tape long before this point and "All I Want" by Mis-teeq, a record I felt I shouldn't like but ended up buying their album. There was also "Happy People" by Static Revenger which is decent.

I was getting more into rap music by this point though and both rap records get the thumbs up which are "Until The End Of Time" by 2Pac and "Ride Wit Me" by Nelly ft City Spud.

It was also the year I started to get into R&B music, but unfortunately all the R&B records in this particular Top 40 are crap. 

There's the excellent "Daydream In Blue" by I Monster, a record I never knew the name of at the time and it took me years of searching the internet to finally find out what it was.

A lot of the charts are taken up by boy bands, girl groups, mixed gender pop groups and former pop group members solo careers, all of which are crap.

The strange thing about 2001 is that I watched the music channels a lot at the time and there was a lot of mainstream music I was enjoying. The eye opener is how much of it didn't get into the Top 40. This results in a poor score.

Score: 9.5

Table

I never expected 2001 to be that low when I first started this, but at the same time having the same score as 1998 does seem appropriate:



No comments:

Post a Comment