Thursday 21 October 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2000

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Moby - Porcelain

It had been nearly a decade since Moby first hit the charts with "Go" but despite the fact he had several hits that followed through the rest of the decade he was perhaps forgotten by all except the ravers until his "Play" album came out which itself took almost a year until it topped the charts. From that album came this, his highest charting record to date. I believe it was this tune that prompted me to buy them album myself.

Worst Song: S Club 7 - Reach

As a kid I looked forward to being old enough to start clubbing. As dance music was also known as club music I naively thought that's the music you'd hear in every nightclub. When I reached that age and went to the local club nobody likes but everybody goes to I found they were playing shit like this. 

Top 40 Review

Many people had their own idea about how the world would change in the year 2000, but even as late as 1999 I'm sure few would have predicted Kylie Minogue would have been back on top of the charts. But there she was with "Spinning Around". It's a big improvement on the Stock Aitken & Waterman crap she began her career with and this was arguably the point where people would start to take her more seriously as a musician. Unfortunately that doesn't mean I like that record.

Simon Cowell had plans to give us the next big thing in the pop world, but not what you think. It was the girl group Girl Thing who had a lot of hype about them but failed to top the charts with "Last Ones Standing" which passed a lot of people by but unfortunately not me.

Dance music was still big and was a mixed bag in this Top 40. There were decent tunes in "Overdrive" by DJ Sandy vs Housetrap, "Its My Turn" by Angelic and "On The Beach" by York. 

But re-entering the charts were "Don't Call Me Baby" by Madison Avenue and "It Feels So Good" by Sonique whilst a mash up of previous hits "Toca Me" by Fragma and "I Need A Miracle" by Coco called "Toca's Miracle" also charted. They all topped the charts and were all crap. Another crap chart topper in there was "You See The Trouble With Me" by Black Legend. We also had "Sandstorm" by Darude which is a great example of where commercial trance went wrong.

UK Garage was big in 2000 but there was only one garage record in this Top 40 in "Girls Like Us" by B-15 Project ft Chrissy D which is a decent record. There were also 2 records which I initially got to like via the garage versions which were "Forgot About Dre" by Dr Dre ft Eminem and "Thong Song" by Sisqo.

By this point people were more likely to want to DJ than play the guitar and there is a lack of guitar music in this Top 40. The guitar music that is there is a bit namby pamby, evident by the fact the hardest of these records is probably "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi which I think is ok but a bit namby pamby.

The best way to sum up this Top 40 is predominantly crap with some genuinely decent records in there.

Score: 12

Table

In the year 2000 I wouldn't have thought I'd find the whole of the 70s and 80s better, but it appears I do:



No comments:

Post a Comment