Thursday 1 October 2020

25 Years Since....September 1995

I think most of us can agree that 1995 was a much better year than 2020. Having a listen of the best tunes at the time is the nearest we can get to going back, so here they are:


Nush - U Girls (Look So Sexy)



This was my record of the year for 1995. Not sure what I can add that I haven't already written in that post.


Cappella - Tell Me The Way



Cappella made their Top 40 debut in 1989 with "Helyom Halib". It was in 93/94 when they had the bulk of their hits, which either began with "U" or "Move". I thought they were mostly, if not all crap. To me they were the Italian 2 Unlimited.

Then in 1995 they released this and I was pleasantly surprised. That's putting it mildly, it was more like what a fuckin tune. I was almost ashamed to like a Cappella tune, but I couldn't help but love this.

It would be the last time we'd see Cappella in the Top 40.

Jam And Spoon - Find Me (Odyssey To Anyoona)



This originally made the Top 40 in September 1994 but only made 37. This re-release did a bit better getting to number 22.

It was their follow up to "Right in the Night" which you may have notice never featured in these posts, because I was never that keen on it. This one was more euphoric which made it sound less cheesy in my opinion.

Tokyo Ghetto Pussy - Everybody On The Floor (Pump It)



With a name like Tokyo Ghetto Pussy, you may think they came from Japan. But they didn't, they were from Germany and were in-fact Jam & Spoon under another name.

It was the only Top 40 hit for them under this alias, but they did have another attempt with "I Kiss Your Lips" which I remember appearing on Top of the Pops 2, and is the better tune in my opinion.


Candy Girls - Fee Fi Fo Fum

Paul Masterson has had several Top 40 hits under different aliases. This was his first. Just hearing this tune now makes me think 1995. 

No comments:

Post a Comment