Saturday 31 October 2020

25 Years Since....October 1995

Time once again to turn back the clock 25 years and take a look at the tunes I was enjoying:


Bon Jovi - Something For The Pain

If you've been following these posts since the beginning this would probably come as a shock to you. For the benefit of those who haven't, Bon Jovi were my 2nd favourite band at one point but then I got into more heavier rock music and hated Bon Jovi and then became a raver and generally hated rock music. 

Following the "Keep the Faith" album, my criticism of the new Bon Jovi songs were that they were either slow numbers or acoustic. This one was neither slow or acoustic though. I tried my best to hate it, but I couldn't.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - My Friends

Before I got into rave, Red Hot Chili Peppers were my favourite band. I listened to the "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" album all the time, but it was 4 years old by 1995 but I got excited to hear a new album was on its way.

The lead single, "Warped" was a big disappointment to me though. This, the follow up though was much more like it. Some view this as a low point for the Red Hot Chili Peppers because it was the Dave Navarro era and his guitaring didn't suit them, but quite frankly I couldn't give a shit as to me they're not a band you listen to for the guitar.

I did buy the "One Hot Minute" album and it's not the best if I'm honest. I ended up swapping it with a friend in exchange for "Who Needs Guitars Anyway" by Alice Deejay. Almost a cryptic way of me making the above point.

Erasure - Stay With Me


Erasure have featured several times in these posts, but if I had to pick a favourite Erasure song then this would probably be it. The fact the only times I've heard it in the last 25 years is of my own accord probably helps.

It's perhaps not your typical Erasure song, it's certainly not one you could dance to. It almost goes against what I like about Erasure. But the fact a synth pop duo could come up with a ballad like this is quite something.

Ash - Angel Interceptor


I remember the rock crowd who stuck with rock music instead of moving onto dance music like myself or brit pop started listening to Ash and Reef, which seemed very namby pamby to me. I still think "Girl From Mars" is a pile of crap.

This record though, the follow up is however undeniably good. I guess the drumming helps a lot, being into dance music as I was at the time I loved a good beat and I guess I wasn't quite ready to completely let go of rock music yet. 


Scooter - The Move Your Ass


When Scooter had a big hit in 2002 with "The Logical Song", they were newcomers in the minds of most people it seemed. I remember after buying their greatest hits album "Push the Beat For This Jam" I told people I had Scooters greatest hits, which shocked people because they thought they'd only been round for 5 minutes.

I may be a bit biased because I was a raver at the time, but I'm surprised at how few people actually remember this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment