Tuesday 14 April 2020

UK Number 40s: Chris Andrews - Whatcha Gonna Do Now (1966)


When I start looking at these records the first question I ask is do I know it? If I do, I have a think about how it fits in with the music of the time, if not I take a listen and then do the same.

In the case of this record I thought the answer to my first question was yes. Then I thought it would actually fit in quite nicely around 1966 and that it sounds a bit like the Small Faces. Then I realised I was thinking about "Whatcha Gonna Do About It?" by the Small Faces, and that I didn't know this record at all.

Chris Andrews isn't exactly a household name, but his debut and biggest hit "Yesterday Man" is pretty well known. His music career goes back further than that though as a songwriter, with him writing a couple of hits for Adam Faith plus he wrote the bulk of Sandie Shaw's hits.

This was his 3rd of 4 Top 40 hits and came less than a year after his chart debut. It sounds like it could just as easily have been a Sandie Shaw song.

His solo Top 40 career would be over before the end of the year, though his song writing for Sandie Shaw would continue till the end of the decade. This was the only record to peak at 40 in 1966.

No comments:

Post a Comment