Thursday 30 April 2020

25 Years Since....April 1995

Some people say I live in the past, but I think most will agree that April 1995 was a much better time than April 2020. Here are some of the tunes I was enjoying back then:

The Outhere Brothers - Don't Stop (Wiggle Wiggle)


When it comes to the charts in 1995, the first thing many will mention is the Blur vs Oasis chart battle. As big as it was, it was for a couple of weeks at the end of the summer. It takes the attention away from one of the biggest chart acts of the year, The Outhere Brothers.

They just came out of nowhere, when they were performing this on Top of the Pops it was the first time I knew of their existence. But I liked it, and finding there was an explicit version of it did it no harm either.

When I think of the charts in 1995, I think The Outhere Brothers and vice versa. Beyond 1995 they were nowhere to be seen. They had a minor hit in 1997 that I don't remember, but that was it. An internet search tells very little about what ever happened to The Outhere Brothers.


Grace - Not Over Yet


The first Top 40 hit for Grace and that only one of theirs that's been heard in public since the 90s, but I would recommend listening to other Grace records.

It was one of many projects of Paul Oakenfold. All about that riff before the chorus in my opinion, it's what gets you hooked.

This tune enjoyed a new lease of life in 1999 with the Planet Perfecto remix, which is also Paul Oakenfold. That one could be appearing if these posts last another 4 years.


The Boo Radleys - Wake Up Boo!


I wonder what The Boo Radleys themselves make of this song now. They must have liked the money they made from it, but it's the only song people remember them for and it's quite different from their other songs. The YouTube comments though are saying the guitarist is now an IT teacher, so maybe they didn't make that much money.

I always remember the lead singer looking like Richard O'Brien. Ok the only resemblance really is that they both have no hair, but I've figured out another reason I thought that. Being the lazy teenager I was, in school holidays when I would wake up around 11am the first thing I'd do is watch the Crystal Maze.

Interestingly the YouTube comments are now saying Jonjo Shelvey is the singer, plus David Cameron on bass and Craig Charles on drums.


Tina Arena - Chains


I remember at the time thinking surely Tina Arena isn't her real name. I was right, but instead of her real name being something like Tina Smith, it's actually Filippina Arena.

With Tina Arena being a pop singer from Australia, the first question I asked was Neighbours or Home & Away? Turns out it was neither, which makes sense because this song is actually good.

Naughty By Nature - Feel Me Flow

Although it would be a few years until I properly got into rap music, there would be the odd tune that I thought was amazing, and this was one of them. It was the rapping itself that amazed me, ironic that it comes on a record by a group as opposed to solo rapper.

The sample is from "Find Yourself" by The Meters, the same sample was used in "Do Me Baby" by The Honeyz so when I heard that it brought back fond memories of this tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment