Saturday 21 September 2019

My 25 Favourite Albums: DJ Shadow - Entroducing.....


At the time this album came out in 1996 I was only listening to dance music. People started talking about DJ Shadow and assumed him to be dance music as that was what many DJs were doing at the time.

Then one day somebody played me this album, and to be honest I didn't like it at first. As I was predominantly into Happy Hardcore at the time, this was simply too slow for me.

Once I became more open minded when it comes to music though, I recalled the time I heard this album and thought maybe it was something I could like, so I revisited it and realised just how good and album it is.

In the beginning I had assumed DJ Shadow to be one of the acts from Bristol, I didn't realise he was American. One thing I did notice though is that the Bristol acts such as Massive Attack had their albums in the dance section in the record shop, whereas DJ Shadow would be in the Rap/Hip Hop section.

On paper it's an instrumental Hip Hop album, and if you had to classify it as something then this would be it. It really breaks down the barriers though, it's experimenting with various samples to produce something you've never heard before.



No comments:

Post a Comment