Monday 30 September 2019

25 Years Since....September 1994

As you could probably tell, last month I struggled to find 5 charting records I was enjoying 25 years ago, this month was a bit easier:

Blur - Parklife


We were definitely at the point at the time this came out where people were losing interest in the heavier side of rock music and getting more into indie. Guns n Roses had long fallen out of favour, but one man I knew remained a fan until this point in time, where he'd become a Blur fan instead.

A lot is said about the Blur vs Oasis rivalry the following year, but one could argue this is where it began. Oasis had been at number 10 with "Live Forever" for 2 weeks, then this knocked them off number 10.


Terrorvision - Pretend Best Friend


Terrorvision were one of those bands falling out of favour amongst my peers. When "Oblivion" came out everyone seemed to like it, but by the time this came about few people were interested.

It's quite strange really when you consider that their greatest chart success was yet to come and their chart career would extend into the 21st century.

That said, their music was perhaps a bit more mellow as time went on which helped keep them relevant.


Dave Stewart - Heart Of Stone


Dave Stewart had always been the man in Eurythmics who never said anything, he'd be there in the background playing the synthesiser whilst Annie Lennox did the singing. I also recalled him having a solo hit that was an instrumental.

But then we had this, a song with Dave Stewart actually singing. Ok he doesn't have much of a singing voice, but that didn't matter, it was just the novelty of Dave Stewart singing. His guitar skills also sound quite impressive on this record.

I forgot about this actual song not long afterwards, but it was always at the back of my mind that I'd seen Dave Stewart sing somewhere and that I quite liked it. Once YouTube became a thing I looked up music by Dave Stewart and found this and the memories came back, I wasn't just dreaming that I saw Dave Stewart sing once.


Pet Shop Boys - Yesterday When I Was Mad


I thought the Pet Shop Boys might have lost it after doing that Absolutely Fabulous crap, but fortunately that was just a blip and they followed up with this.

One thing I do remember about this tune at the time was when I thought it was being played on the radio for the first few seconds, but it turned out they were playing "Welcome To Tomorrow" by Snap instead, I resented the Snap record because of that.

Almighty - Wrench

Around this time I entered a competition to win the new Almighty album. The question was what was their new label?

In those days you couldn't just Google the answer, it was a question I didn't know the answer to so I asked the man who introduced me to the Almighty. I thought he might be entering the competition himself and therefore wouldn't give me the answer, but fortunately he had already bought the album so he looked on the cover and told me.

Unfortunately I didn't win the competition, nor did I ever own the album for that matter. The answer to the question by the way was Chrysalis.

No comments:

Post a Comment