Monday 15 July 2019

Record of the Year 2017: NF - Let You Down


Thanks to starting my Top of the Pops posts at the beginning of 2017, I've heard pretty much every Top 40 hit of the year at least once. I knew that picking a record of the year would be tough given the amount of rubbish there was.

The fact I'm not a fan of Ed Sheeran or Drake eliminated a chunk of possibilities straight away. Looking at the genres away from generic pop, electropop, folk-pop and all that nonsense, it wasn't going to be an R&B record as there hasn't been a good one made for around 15 years, Indie generally isn't my cup of tea and when it's only representatives are the Gallagher brothers post Oasis hits it certainly isn't. Normally there's at least one decent Dance record, but this year it was mostly weak and pathetic and the rest was irritating.

That leaves Rap music, which narrows somewhat when you eliminate Drake. Many of the modern rappers sound like they're trying to sound like 50 Cent or Lil Wayne, which is never a good thing. As I went through the list of Rap records of the year, there were some candidates which fell a bit short.

There was "Bad Things" by Machine Gun Kelly ft Camila Cabello, great backing track but the rapping was too slow and too much singing for my liking. Then there was "Mask Off" by Future, sounded good but was a load of meaningless drivel. Also in the running was "1-800-273-8255" by Logic ft Alessia Cara & Khalid but that was ruined by the featured artists.

Towards the end of the year though came this. Good backing track, good rapping and no shitty singers ruining the track.

I would like to tell you more about NF, but I'd never really heard of him before I picked this record so I'd just be giving extracts from his Wikipedia page, so if you want to know more you're better off reading about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment