Saturday 27 July 2019

My 25 Favourite Albums: Jacques Lu Cont - FabricLive.09


For those who don't know, FabricLive was a series of albums put out by Fabric nightclub which started in 2001 and finished in 2018 when the 100th mix came out.

Being number 9, this was quite early on in the series and came out in 2003. Jacques Lu Cont is an alias of Stuart Price who was also well known as Les Rythmes Digitales and as a member of Zoot Woman. He pretended to be French in the early days, I thought he was French myself when I bought this but later discovered he wasn't.

These day's he's perhaps better known as plain old Stuart Price, the producer of more recent albums by Madonna, Pet Shop Boys and Take That amongst others.

To the album itself then, well it begins with a rip off of "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones which was your typical Dance record of the day. I love the way it mixes into the 2nd track, "Eastern Palace" by Risan. Little did I know until reading the liner notes that we'd now gone back to the early 80s, but somehow it just seemed to fit.

Up next was "Wordy Rappinghood" by the Tom Tom Club, another early 80s tune and I finally learned what that weird but good tune I'd heard a few years earlier actually was. It was then back to the present day with "Steppin" by Chicken Lips, who were 2 former members of Bizarre Inc. Then it was back to the 80s again with "Abracadabra" by Steve Miller Band.

A bit of a mixture at the start then, but still somehow sounded like a typical House mix. It then settled into just that beginning with the excellent "Give it Up" by Crazy Penis and ending with "Remind Me" by Royksopp.

Then things get a bit strange again, with "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Strauss making an appearance which then goes into "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics. At first I think it might be a dance remix of it, but then realise no it really is "Sweet Dreams" itself.

We then have a Stuart Price tune in "It's Automatic" by Zoot Woman, then followed by the excellent "David" by GusGus.

Once again we go back to the 80s, but this time to the early days of House music with "House Nation" by Housemaster Boyz, given the nature of the mix so far that didn't seem too unusual, it was still House music after all.

After this though it gets even weirder, if that's even possible. We have "Snowball" by Devo, a notable change in direction. Then it's "I Wanna Rock" by Junior Sanchez, a Rock inspired Dance record. Then it goes completely Rock with "Gouge Away" by The Pixies and then finishes with "Here Come the Warm Jets" by Brian Eno.

Quite a random mix then, but that's what makes it so great. It has some great tunes on it, the Crazy Penis to Royksopp section alone makes it worth buying. I wouldn't have thought having a Pixies record in a Dance mix would work, but somehow it does.

In my pre-London days when I used to drive to work, this was always a favourite to put on in the car on the drive home on Friday, ready for the weekend to begin.

I had hoped one day I would spend the weekend going to see the man himself play, but certainly by the time I moved to London his DJing as Jacques Lu Cont had more or less finished, being a producer for various artists instead. He did briefly start DJing as Jacques Lu Cont again around 2011-2013 but for whatever reason I never went to see him during that time, guess I was getting a bit old for clubbing by then. Maybe it's for the best as his set probably wouldn't be as good as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment