Monday 5 November 2018

Record of the Year 2007: LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum


By 2007 my knowledge of music in the charts had dwindled so I've picked a record I don't remember being a hit, although it only made number 40.

I may have owned the self titled LCD Soundsystem album by 2007 and bought the follow up "Sound of Silver" album a year or two later which is how I heard this record for the first time. However I started to appreciate it much more when I went to see "Shut Up and Play the Hits" at the cinema. This was a film that revolved around the farewell concert for LCD Soundsystem at Madison Square Gardens in 2011 and this tune stood out as being one of the highlights of the concert where they had Arcade Fire doing backing vocals.

The film made me realise just how good LCD Soundsystem were as a live act and I was gutted that I never got to see them play. Fast forward to 2017 and I went to see a reformed LCD Soundsytem in concert which was great but sadly they didn't play this track. It was one of just two Top 40 hits for LCD Soundsystem, the other being "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House".

No comments:

Post a Comment