Monday 24 September 2018

Record of the Year 2005: Mylo - In My Arms


I've already picked a record that Mylo sampled for a previous record of the year and now for 2005 I'm picking a record by Mylo himself.

Of the singles from his excellent "Destroy Rock & Roll" my personal favourite is "In My Arms". It samples "Waiting For A Star To Fall" by Boy Meets Girl and "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes. Unlike many of the other Dance records sampling old records at the time, this was more of an instrumental sample than a vocal sample, with just the "In My Arms Baby" line being sampled from the Boy Meets Girl record. The result is fantastic, it sounds like a proper tune in its own right rather than a blatant rip off or a blatant mash up.

If you haven't heard the album I seriously recommend you take a listen, it is definitely one of the best albums ever released in my opinion. I would say the other three singles to be taken from the album, "Destroy Rock & Roll", "Drop the Pressure" and "Muscle Car" are probably my three least favourite tracks on the album, that's how good the album is.

Unfortunately he is yet to release a follow up album but still remains active in the DJing world. He also posted some new music through social media a year or 2 ago which is also worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment