Monday 3 September 2018

Record of the Year 2004: Armand Van Helden - My My My


It goes without saying that as long as Dance music has existed in the charts a sizable chunk of it has been cheesy vocal rubbish. However towards the late 90s there was just as much of the good stuff as there was the cheese, mainly because there was so much Dance music in the charts.

By 2004 there was much less Dance music in the charts and the bulk of what was left was cheesy vocal rubbish. If I was to pick a Dance tune without any vocals, my choices would be "Rocker" by Alter Ego and...actually that's it. In fact that particular tune was a strong candidate, but in the end I decided to pick "My My My" by Armand Van Helden.

It was late 2004 that I was getting back into Dance music again after a period of predominantly listening to Rap & R&B and this was one of the tunes that did get me back into it. The difference though was that in the past I thought the faster the music the better, now the tempo of House music sounded just right for me.

Many of the Dance tunes of 2004 heavily sampled old tunes and this was no exception, sampling "Comin Apart" by Gary Wright. However the tune it samples is one I'd guess not too many people know and when I listen to the tune it samples it makes me want to listen to this tune, so it's a job well done in my opinion.

This reached number 15 in the charts and was rereleased two years later when it reached number 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment