Monday 23 July 2018

Record of the Year 2002: Dilated Peoples - Worst Comes To Worst


Those of you who regularly read this blog will know that I like my dance music and that during the mid to late 90s I listened to nothing but dance music. However whilst there were some genuinely good dance records in the charts in 2002, a lot of it was becoming a joke with cheesy trance rip offs of 80s tunes etc.

In 2002 the genre I was mainly listening to was Rap, so appropriately I've picked a Rap record for my 2002 record of the year.

This was the debut UK Top 40 hit for Dilated Peoples, but they weren't a new act by any means. They formed in 1992 and had their breakthrough album "The Platform" in 2000 which I owned by this point.

This tune came from the follow up album "Expansion Team" and featured Guru from Gang Starr. This was different from most of Rap music in the charts this year and it was good to hear something which sounded like it was from the underground rather than rappers showing off how much money they'd now got which was the case in many Rap records in the charts.

They would have one further Top 40 hit with "This Way" but have remained relevant in the Hip Hop community ever since. I saw them in concert around four years ago and they were excellent, definitely worth going to see if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment