Monday 2 July 2018

Record of the Year 2001: Zero 7 - Destiny


It's been a tough choice to pick my record for 2001 with so many to choose from, I've changed my mind countless times over the past couple of weeks or so, but I've decided my record of the year for 2001 is "Destiny" by Zero 7.

My main reservation about picking this record is that I can think of several Zero 7 tunes which are better, but this was their only UK Top 40 hit so is the only one I could pick. Their debut album "Simple Things" is probably my favourite album from 2001 so it's quite logical to pick a track from that album as my record of the year.

There are two vocalists on this record. There was Sia Furler who had already scored a Top 10 hit the previous year with "Taken For Granted" but would have to wait another ten years to score her next Top 40 hit when she would become a household name. The other singer was Sophie Barker who has also had a solo career of her own.

Zero 7 would release another three albums, the most recent of which came in 2009. They appear to still be active, although they haven't played live for a number of years but have played some DJ sets in that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment