Monday 11 June 2018

Record of the Year 2000: New Vision - Just Me & You


My record of the year for 2000 charted in January of that year, but I first heard it back in the summer of 1999 where Pete Tong would play it on his show. What I remember most about this tune was being the second record he played on a show coming live from Café Mambo in Ibiza, in between "Rendez Vu" by Basement Jaxx and "The Launch" by DJ Jean.

I taped that particular show and listened to it many times, but whilst the Basement Jaxx and DJ Jean tunes would chart around the same time, this record didn't. Given how big Dance music had become by this point I expected it to chart, if anything because it was the stand out record of the show to me and thought surely many others would think the same. As time went on it looked like it wasn't going to happen.

Then one cold December night when I was changing the tape in my car I heard this on the Radio. There were a few more occasions that followed when I heard it again, but I didn't realise at the time that it actually charted in January 2000 reaching number 23.

New Vision was a one off project between Albert Cabrera and Samuel Morales. I tried to find out whether the latter is related to David but couldn't find anything. According to his discogs page he had a couple of records under his own name in 1988 and 1989, then a couple as Sam Savon in 1991 and a further one in 1997, with this being the last thing he released. Albert Cabrera on the other hand was part of several groups and also collaborated with David Morales which suggests Samuel could have been related.

In a way it feels a bit odd picking this for 2000 as it very much brings back memories of 1999 for me, plus I think this works better as a summer record. As the Top 40 is the criteria I use though, 2000 it is. At least I don't have to decide whether of not this is better than the Masters at Work record I picked for 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment