Saturday 30 June 2018

25 Years Since....June 1993

We're already half way through 2018 so here is what I was enjoying half way through 1993:

UB40 - Can't Help Falling In Love


This is possibly the record which lead to me going to see UB40 in concert twice in recent times, that is the version with Ali, Astro and Mickey.

I can't say there is anything particularly ground-breaking about this record, a reggae cover of an old song, something which UB40 had done plenty of by this point. But crucially it's just a great record to listen to and despite the band being well into their 30s by this point it got them a number one.

Somebody did speculate to me at the time that the only reason I liked this was because it was number one, but if anything that would be a reason not to like it. They followed this up with another Top 10 single "Higher Ground" but beyond that they would only have one more Top 10 hit.

Spin Doctors - Two Princes


By the time this record came out me and my school friends were definitely writing out top ten favourite bands on a regular basis.

I remember this mainly because the Spin Doctors would often be my tenth favourite band despite the fact this was the only song of theirs I actually knew, such was the strength of this song.

They quite possibly fell out of my top ten list when their next hit "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" came out. It wasn't a bad tune as such but was nowhere near as good as this.

Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her


This is the first Pet Shop Boys record to feature in this series of posts, basically because the previous Pet Shop Boys single "Was It Worth It" came out at the end of 1991 which was just over 25 years older than my first of these posts.

It's apparent that I was yet to get to the point in my life where I hated Pop music as I don't recall making an secret that I liked this record.

Therapy? - Turn


This was the second single from their yet to be released "Troublegum" album, or more specifically this was the second EP of which he lead track would be on said album.

Despite this being in the Top 40 I did see Therapy? as being that obscure band that only I knew about, they weren't a band that were talked about a lot and at the same time I remember some of the purists not liking Therapy? because they were too punky.

There would be one more single from the album before it finally got released, if we make it to 1994 with these posts I'll tell you what it was.

East 17 - West End Girls


As a Pet Shop Boys fan I should probably hate this record, it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as the Pet Shop Boys original, but I do like it.

I recall this record getting a lot of stick at the time, it never made the top ten either.

I was well aware that I wasn't supposed to like East 17 by this point so I was a bit more secretive about it. I do however recall singing this a lot and someone saying that I seem to like it, but then again they may have thought I was singing the Pet Shop Boys version.

No comments:

Post a Comment