Monday 30 April 2018

Record of the Year 1999: Masters At Work - To Be In Love


The first time I heard of Masters At Work was in the mid 90s when I was sent a list of available tapes from a company called "The Edge" under the "American House" section alongside Farley Jackmaster Funk amongst others. Little did I know I'd already heard one half of Masters At Work, Kenny Dope with his Bucketheads project.

Around the same time I heard the other half of Masters At Work, Louie Vega with his Lil Mo Yin Yang project alongside Erick Morillo. Both Kenny and Louie then had hits under the name Nuyorican Soul in 1997 and Louie Vega had a hit alongside Marc Anthony in 1998 called "Ride on the Rhythm". It wasn't until 1999 though that I heard an actual Masters At Work record for the first time which was "To Be In Love".

It was quite an exciting moment for me to finally hear music from I name I'd heard for a few years and I wasn't disappointed. At lot of the dance music in 1999 was starting to get harder and faster, particularly with the rise of Trance, but this completely bucked the trend being a bit slower and more soulful.

I started to appreciate it a lot more a few years later when I basically wanted to listen to some soulful house music and this fit the bill perfectly. When I purchased the Masters At Work collection I couldn't stop listening to it, in particular the disc with this record on so it only seems appropriate I make this the record of the year for 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment