Monday 9 April 2018

Record of the Year 1998: Lucid - I Can't Help Myself


For me personally 1998 was a bit of a strange year music wise. I started the year only listening to Rave music though I was always partial to the odd House or Trance record. Then came a point where I perhaps had overdone it with the Happy Hardcore and started listening to a much wider range of music including a lot more House and Trance. In fact I'd say I probably preferred House and Trance over Happy Hardcore by the end of the year.

This brings me on to my Record of the Year for 1998, "I Can't Help Myself" by Lucid. I heard it often throughout the summer and then one Friday it came on the radio and I told someone this was a good tune. I probably paid it a bit more attention than I had previously and just thought to myself "wow I absolutely love this tune".

By Autumn I wasn't hearing it as much. At the time I was listening to Dave Pearce's Dance Anthems every Sunday and a big chunk of the show was people phoning up to request a tune. I phoned up every week for a period requesting this but never got on, nor was the tune played. The next time I heard it on that show was when Judge Jules was sitting in for Dave Pearce and I'd since given up, though he did play it before the requests began.

Lucid were Adam Ryan-Carter and Mark Hadfield. They had a further two Top 40 hits with "Crazy" and "Stay With Me Till Dawn". Both are also successful producers in their own right and Mark Hadfield has also had chart hits as part of Loveland and Lovefreekz.

No comments:

Post a Comment