Monday 10 April 2017

Record of the Year 1974: Act One - Tom the Peeper


Each year between 1961, the first full year we had a top 40, and 1974 there have been somewhere between 200-300 records per year in the top 40. Obviously I haven't listened to every record for every year, there simply isn't enough time to do that. I do listen to the number ones I don't know, or records by artists I know that I'm not familiar with and than in itself takes enough time.

My record of the year for 1974 is a record which reached number 40 and was the only hit for a group that doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, so given this and the fact I wasn't even born in 1974 you may wonder how I even know this record in the first place.

There is one man I have to thank for this, the late great John Peel who featured this track on his Fabriclive mix.

It's a funk track in the roots of disco music and was played in the Northern Soul clubs at the time. It just has one of those funky grooves you can listen to again and again, when I saw it listed on everyhit.com I pretty much knew that would be my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment