Saturday 31 December 2016

Record of the Year 1966: Lou Christie - Lightnin Strikes


So here is my record of the year for 1966. I was quite reluctant to make this my record of the year as this is not my favourite Lou Christie single, my favourite is "I'm Gonna Make You Mine" which was released in 1969, but the competition is a lot more fierce that year.

Born Lugee Sacco, he was already an established act in his native America by the time this was released and this would be his only US number one. It was his debut hit in the UK and reached number 11 in the charts.

This to me sums up the 60s pop record nicely, I like the concept of the falsetto voice with female backing singers on the track.

Lou Christie would have a further 3 hits in the 60s, but has remained active in the music scene ever since and is still making new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment