Sunday 4 December 2016

Record of the Year 1965: Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction


We are getting to the stage where there are many candidates for the record of the year each year, but for me "Eve of Destruction" slightly edges the rest of the candidates.

I can't say I know a great deal about Barry McGuire, I always got the impression from his singing voice that he was Irish, but he is actually American.

As many people point out in the YouTube comments, a lot of what is being said in this song is still relevant today some 50 years later. But it isn't just the lyrical content, it is also the delivery of the song which makes it stand out to me.

This would be his only top 40 hit in the UK, or anywhere else in the world according to his Wikipedia page. He did however do many albums and would later go on to do contemporary Christian music.

As far as one hit wonders go, this is up there amongst the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment