Saturday 23 July 2016

UK Charts in General

First of all, I'm going to hold off doing my year by year chart analysis for the next couple of weeks or so. This is because it does take a lot of time to research and I've been too busy lately to keep up. It will return though.

You may or may not know that Bryan Adams record of 16 consecutive weeks at number one is now under serious threat. The current number one at the time of writing has been there for 15 weeks.

With the way the charts went towards the end of the 90s it seemed impossible for this record to be beaten. By this time any records entering the singles chart would already be well known, therefore most people who intended on buying it would do so in the week of release. This meant many records would peak in week 1 and then quickly drop out the charts.

These days though the rules have changed, notably that streaming is included. Seems fair enough, it wouldn't make sense to just count cd singles because who actually buys them anymore?

It does however reflect the fact that these days the charts doesn't seem to having any bearing on what people are listening to. I personally don't think I've ever heard the current number one record. Then you will have people who hear this news and go to stream the record to hear what it sounds like which may keep it at number one for longer.

Above all though, anyone who knows a thing or two about music will know about Bryan Adams 16 weeks of glory in 1991. If this record gets beaten I don't think too many people will notice.

I've not revealed what the current number one record is, partly because I don't actually remember what its called although I do remember who the artist is. If you want to know, Google it!

No comments:

Post a Comment