Sunday 10 July 2016

Calloway - I Wanna Be Rich


There have been many songs over the years that I can relate to, though some I find I can no longer relate to them once I've found out the true meaning behind them.

I don't have such problems with a song as blunt as "I Wanna Be Rich" with lyrics such as "I want money, lots and lots of money".

I first heard this song when I was regularly listening to a 90s radio station on the internet from America. I mistakenly remembered this as being a song by Tony Toni Tone, and one day I had the urge to listen to it I discovered it wasn't them, it was by Calloway.

So who were Calloway?

They were brothers Reggie and Vincent Calloway who were both formerly members of Midnight Star. Their time as Calloway was quite brief but they were also successful producers, which implies they quite possibly fulfilled their objective of being rich. Additionally, an internet search showed me that Reggie is very involved in the business of musicians getting royalties so its very likely he meant what he said in this song.

It was never a hit in the UK but reached number 2 in America in 1990. I'm sure that many of you will be able to relate to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment