Friday 18 March 2016

Who is DJ Physics?



Around late 1994/early 1995 when all my rock tapes were surplus to requirements and I declared myself a raver, my music collection consisted of "The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation" album and "N-Trance - Set You Free" single.

Obviously there was a lot of rave music which I needed to discover. One of my starting points was by looking at who the Prodigy thanked in their album sleeve. I knew that there would be lots of family and friends and other non musicians in there, but I thought it was a safe bet that all the "DJ" something's would be rave musicians of some description.

There was DJ SS and DJ Rap both of whom had tracks on one of the next CDs I bought, the "Best of Jungle". Then there was DJ Hype, I can't remember exactly when I heard him for the first time but I know it didn't take long given he was one of the most popular Drum & Bass DJs of the 90s. There was also DJ SY who I heard for the first time on the Hysteria 9 tape pack late in 1995.

Finally there was DJ Physics, but despite my rave collection growing to around 200 tapes/CDs over the next 2 to 3 years, and keeping up to date with the rave scene as much as I could in a time when nobody really knew what the internet was, I had no idea who DJ Physics was. None of the other ravers I knew at the time had heard of him either.

Remembering this recently, I decided to look him up on the internet. It turns out he used to tour with the Prodigy in the early 90s playing the warm up set for them at a gig. Given by this point the Prodigy were doing their own gigs rather than being part of the line up at a rave, it makes sense that he was nowhere to be seen on a rave line up.

Sometime in the early 00s it became the cool thing for a DJ to put their first name in front of their DJ name and he seems to have followed this trend by becoming Dom Physics.

To give you a true idea of who he is though, I have posted a mix of him warming up for the Prodigy in 1992. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. he can be found playing here every tues 10pm till midnight every week
    http://www.clublabrynthradio.co.uk/chat2.html

    ReplyDelete