Sunday 27 March 2016

Record of the Year 1957: Patience and Prudence - Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now


Not only is this my record of 1957, this is my record of the 50s.

So you may be thinking, in a year where there are many Rock and Roll or Skiffle records which would have a huge influence of music of the future, why pick a pop record sung by kids?

Well the simple answer is because I like it. It's a simple pop record which is very enjoyable to listen to and one I have listened to many times of my own accord, I would say more times than any other 50s record.

Like many people under a certain age, the first version of this I heard was the Viola Wills version from the 70s. One thing I did a lot of when YouTube came about was listening to original versions of tracks I know with this being one of them and I've been regularly listening to it ever since.

This wasn't the first hit from Patience and Prudence but it was their last. They had previously had a hit with "Tonight You Belong to Me" in 1956. They were 11 and 14 when they recorded this song, their father was an orchestra leader and was his idea for them to record music.

They would appear on TV in 1978 where they stated they didn't want to be performers in the first place. The footage can be found on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment