Thursday 10 October 2024

2004: The Good Old Days? - June

In June 2004 my music taste would have been described as dance, rap and R&B but I thought for a change I'd pick out the records with points completely outside of these genres. Well there's just one record actually which is "Absent Friends" by Divine Comedy.

Bordering on these genres and carrying points are The Farm with a Spoony remix of "All Together Now" which is sort of dance. Then we have half marks for "Laura" by Scissor Sisters who came from the electroclash scene but it's not much of a dance record.

The best record is a dance record which is "Mass Destruction" by Faithless which is possibly their best single and yes I am saying better than "Insomnia". We also have points for Freestylers with "Push Up" and I also like the very cheesy "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone.

Kanye West contributes 2 points this month, one for "All Falls Down" with Syleena Johnson and another for "Talk About Our Love" with Brandy. Beastie Boys have a solid record in "Ch-Check It Out" and experimental urban music group Nerd get full marks for "Maybe".

I'm stretching the definition of R&B here, but also getting full marks is VS with "Call You Sexy". It's on an R&B compilation I have which at the time gave me assurance of it's credibility, but these days I very much place it under the guilty pleasure category.

Time for the worst record then and that goes to Emma Bunton with "Crickets Sing For Anamaria". I remember at the time she was going for the Motown sound talking about how much of a fan she was. One thing that bugs me a lot though is when I crappy modern singer tries to replicate decent music from the past, it never works.

Here's a list of the records with the best on top, worst at the bottom and the good ones in green, OK ones in amber and rubbish ones in red (and in no particular order):


Score: 26%

Here's a look at the chart:


We're basically saying around a quarter of the Top 40 in 2004 was decent which actually sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment