Monday 7 October 2024

20 Years Since....Q3 2004

Here's the tunes I was enjoying 20 years ago:

O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei


The best cheesy dance records from around this era were those which made no secret of the fact they were just out and out cheese. That was the case with this record which was the only Top 40 hit for O-Zone.

I had no idea what they were singing or even where they were from, I just knew it wasn't English. Turns out they were from Romania.

Jay Sean - Eyes On You

The Top 40 debut for British R&B singer Jay Sean which came a few years before he broke America and went cheesy and shit. It was an example of British R&B being just as good, if not better than it's American counterpart. Even my housemate at the time who wasn't into R&B at all thought this one was decent.

3 Of A Kind - Babycakes

This record is often found in lists of worst number ones ever these days. I can sort of understand why it's in the list, it is a bit cheesy and a bit silly.

However it came at a time when UK garage had all but disappeared and this record gave me hope that it would be making a comeback. I lent my support by buying the CD single and it did top the charts, but the UK garage comeback never happened.

ATL - Make It Up With Love

I wasn't a big fan of their Top 40 debut "Calling All Girls" but when I heard this the follow up I thought that's more like it. As a result I bought the single, partly because I wasn't sure they'd have enough good music in order to buy the album. I still don't as I've not heard any further music from them since.

Nelly - My Place

Nelly released 2 albums at the same time, "Sweat" which was a rap album and "Suit" which was an R&B album. I'm not overly keen on Nelly doing rap but I do like him doing R&B and as a result I bought "Suit".

The chorus on this record is sung by Jahiem who was one of my favourite R&B singers at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment