Friday 30 September 2022

25 Years Since....September 1997

Is it really September already? 1997 certainly didn't go that quickly, but with the good music that was around maybe that was a good thing:


DJ Quicksilver - Free

This was the lesser known follow up single from DJ Quicksilver but I was paying attention because I liked his first hit and he was a name that had been brought to my attention prior to that,

I must admit it hasn't aged well, still acceptable but I'm not sure I'd think much of it if I heard it for the first time now.

Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!

I first came across Bentley Rhythm Ace when they were featured in Dream magazine which was a rave magazine around in the 90s.

I have to say it wasn't what I was expecting it to sound like when I heard it. I allowed it to grow on me though and still like it to this very day.

Roni Size/Reprazent - Heroes

Speaking of Dream magazine, it was possibly in the same issue where in the letters people were complaining about Roni Size going commercial. I was also inclined to agree because I wanted the music I liked to be underground.

There was no denying it was decent music though. I've also just discovered that DJ Krust from Reprazent was previously part of Fresh 4 who had a Top 40 hit back in 1989.

Praxis ft Kathy Brown - Turn Me Out (Turn To Sugar)

I associate this record with footage from the 4th room at Helter Skelter where DJ Phil Foster plays it, but we can hear one of the punters shouting his head off and then tells the camera to stop following him.

There's something about this tune I won't try to describe, it just works.


Dario G - Sunchyme

The point of these posts is to look at the music I was enjoying at the time as opposed to music from the time I'm enjoying now, but this sort of fits both categories.

I definitely was enjoying this record at the time, I remember it being a breath of fresh air when it was on Top of the Pops. I started liking it more though several years later when it came on the music channels and I thought I'd much rather listen to something like this than hardcore these days.

Nowadays it depends what mood I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment