Sunday 14 August 2022

Top 30 in 1992 Reviewed: Week 33

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1992 with my verdict on each record:


Yes that's right, Kris Kross did have another Top 40 hit. In fact they had 2 more but the other one didn't make the Top 30 so it won't be featuring in these posts. I may have said this when reviewing "Jump2 but despite the fact they were squeaky voiced kids they were really good at rapping. Like it's predecessor it's written and produced by Jermaine Dupri. Is it as good as "Jump"? I would say not quite, but it's decent.

Verdict - Good


We've now reached the time of the Olympics in Barcelona. I'm not really an Olympics fan truth be told, even when it was in London I only watched dribs and drabs. I was into the Barcelona Olympics though, I guess being school holidays and the right time zone helped. As a result this record has a bit of sentimental value to it.

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut for Sophie B Hawkins. I think that all her records that I know have aged really well. I'm pretty certain I did like this at the time, but after listening to it just now I find myself wanting to listen to it again. 

Verdict - Good


The 2nd of 3 Top 40 singles for Cud with the final one missing the Top 30. They are a band who are largely forgotten now, they were too late for baggy and too early for brit pop. This one fits in more with the baggy sound, it's quite an uplifting one with a decent guitar riff.

Verdict - Good


I feel like this is a record I've known all my life, but I clearly haven't because it didn't come out until 1992. I also think this could just as easily have been a Phil Collins solo record. I'm pretty clued up on what records are Genesis and which are Phil Collins now, but back then I may not have been so sure. I like the relatively quick beat and the humour of this record so it gets a thumbs up from me.

Verdict - Good


This is the Thunder record that stands out in my memory more than any of the others. I remember the video and the singer moving the microphone stand about. I was too young to really know what it was about at the time, but since rediscovering this in the early days of YouTube I find myself quoting the song title a lot.

Verdict - Good


Depending on what definition you want to use, this is the beginning of Paul Wellers solo career if you consider The Paul Weller Movement to be a band. It basically sounds like a Paul Weller record, he had quite a few songs which sound like this. Not my cup of tea.

Verdict - Rubbish


This is the record Shabba Ranks is best known for. It only made number 23 the first time round but then returned to the charts in 1993 when it made number 3. During the time between this he made his infamous appearance on "The Word" which I thought killed his career but it seemed to have the opposite effect. It's good in a 90s nostalgia sort of way.

Verdict - Good


The 4th Top 40 hit for 2 Unlimited and first not to make the Top 10. I would describe this as being the ultimate generic eurodance record. It somehow manages to be very cheesy whilst being a bit boring at the same time.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember the chorus to this but not much else. It was the lead single off her 2nd album and her final Top 40 hit to date. As the record began my initial thought was this sounds more mature than her previous efforts, but then she starts rapping the verse which makes it sound as silly as her other records. I will however give this record half marks because I do like the backing track, it's just the vocals which lets it down.

Verdict - OK


I heard this song long before it became a single and what I remember most about it is the irritated backing noises in the verses. It's a shame because it has a pretty decent chorus, but I just can't bring myself to like it because the noises annoy me so much.

Verdict - OK


It's our monthly Wedding Present record again. With a title like "Boing!" I would expect something a bit more uplifting but it's actually the opposite. Probably the most dreary one we've had so far and that's really saying something.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was their debut Top 40 hit in 1991 which made number 34, but did better this time round making number 18. Even if it didn't re-enter the Top 40 though it would have still been their biggest hit with none of their 4 other Top 40 hits getting any higher than 36. Can't say I'm a fan of this record, I find it rather dull.

Verdict - Rubbish


Being a London resident, I pass though Baker Street a lot and still to this very day I get this record going through my head more often than not when I do so. It was the Top 40 debut for Undercover and their best known. I'd not heard the Gerry Rafferty original at the time so this is my default version. 

Verdict - Good


A long forgotten Take That single which is the only non-cover not to be written by any of Take That's members. It was written by Ian Levine and Billy Griffin and has since been disowned by the group with Gary Barlow stating that they all hate it. I guess Gary Barlow won't be making any royalties from it, but to be fair it is pretty awful.

Verdict - Rubbish


Seeing the kids singing this on Top of the Pops at the time gave me hope that I wouldn't have to wait until I was an adult to become a pop singer. Those kids weren't pop singers though, they were just there for show as the vocals were sampled from the kids TV show. One of the men behind this record is Luna C who started the legendary Kniteforce records afterwards and was one of the people making hardcore breaks in the 21st century when hardcore itself had gone a bit rubbish. 

Verdict - Good


I should hate this song really after Popmaster Live when we incorrectly thought this was on their "Joyride" album as opposed to "Tourism" and therefore dropping a point. It's very difficult to age their music though, in my mind all their records came out in 1989. I can't help but like it though. 

Verdict - Good


This was the single that preceded "Ebeneezer Goode" which has a title similar to LSD. Maybe this was intentional, the lyrics do sound drug related so maybe this was them testing the water before coming out with the more blatant "E's are good". I've never paid attention to the lyrics truth be told, I just like the tune.

Verdict - Good


For years I thought this was a 60s record that had been re-released. Turns out this was recorded by Roy Orbison in 1987 and not released until 1992. In hindsight this would have been well ahead of it's time if it was a 60s record. 

Verdict - Good


This was the final Top 40 hit from her "Shepherd Moons" album and highest charting since her number one debut "Orinoco Flow". Despite it's short length it gets off to a slow start, but at some point I'm finding myself thinking this is actually quite good. 

Verdict - Good


Although this is the best known record by The Smiths, it only charted at number 25 when first released in 1983. It was re-issued by the label to promote a greatest hits compilation and became their highest charting single by doing so. Before I'd heard any of The Smiths records I knew them to be my guitar teachers favourite band so expected them to be more of a heavy rock band so it was ultimately a disappointment. There did come a point where I grew to like this record though. 

Verdict - Good


Hardbag has arrived with this being credited as the breakthrough record for that genre. Felix was the only one flying the flag for the genre commercially in the early days as it wasn't until 1994 when we started to get the flood of hardbag Top 40 hits. You could say this was ahead of its time then.

Verdict - Good


The debut for Jon Secada and the only hit of his that many people would remember. I love the contrast between the vocals and backing track in this. You hear the intro and it sounds quite happy and upbeat, then you hear the pain in his voice. 

Verdict - Good


When I saw the video to this I thought Luther Vandross and Janet Jackson looked different to how I remember them. That is of course because it's not Luther Vandross or Janet Jackson in the video, it's Damon Wayans and Stacey Dash from the film "Mo Money" which this record is from. 

Verdict - Good


This is the beginning of the post "The Immaculate Collection" era of Madonna. This has a more mature sound than her previous efforts but that means this is basically granny music. It's from the film "A League Of Their Own" which was set in World War II so it was perhaps the intention to make a tune that sounds old fashioned. The song is rubbish though and so is the film.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember getting somewhat confused by this record at the time. To my knowledge Was (Not Was) were a male group but here was a female I'd never seen before singing it. The female in question is Kim Basinger who simply provided vocals and wasn't a member of the group. It was originally recorded in 1983 with Ozzy Osbourne on vocals and his vocals appear on this version too. This remix was done by Steve "Silk" Hurley. It took a while for me to get into this but it grew on me eventually. 

Verdict - Good


Back in 1992 I just thought this record was a bit naff. By 1993 I thought we'd seen the last of Billy Ray Cyrus and for a while that seemed to be the case. Unfortunately we've since had to encounter a lot more from the Cyrus name than just a naff record. To be fair to Billy, it's more his daughter that irritates me than him. Still, if it wasn't for this record then nobody would have heard of his daughter which makes me hate it even more.

Verdict - Rubbish


When an actor, or someone famous for something other than music releases a record you generally expect it to be a novelty record. Jimmy Nail is an actor but whilst this record has a bit of humour to it, I wouldn't call it a novelty record. The fact I quite like it too may have something to do with that.

Verdict - Good


This had previously been a Top 10 hit in 1987 but was re-released because of the Barcelona Olympics. I had the single and there was also a shorter version on there which was used for the TV coverage. As I had the single then clearly I liked it.

Verdict - Good


In my college days I bought an old rave compilation from Cash Converters and put it on in the common room. Several people in the common room weren't into rave and weren't familiar with most of the tunes. I was there saying they were missing out, this was good stuff. Then this tune came on which everyone did know, but I had to concede that this one was shit. Think that was the only one we all agreed on.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 21.5/30, or 70%. A good score is maintained despite some iffy new entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment