Sunday 31 July 2022

25 Years Since....July 1997

Time once again to turn back the clock 25 years:


Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere

When it comes to cover versions I don't think anyone does it better than the Pet Shop Boys. This is one of my favourite Pet Shop Boys tunes and I didn't even realise it was a cover until years later.

Ironically I have a memory of see a preview of a musical that was happening locally at the time and they sang this tune. I just assumed they were doing a musical type version of a Pet Shop Boys record even if I did think it was a strange this to do.

The Age Of Love - The Age Of Love

I don't know which tune has been remixed the most, but this one has to be a contender. The original came out in 1990 but this was the first version to make the UK Top 40.

The lead remix was from Jam & Spoon which explains why I can't help but think of it as being a German record when The Age Of Love are in fact Italian.

Alisha's Attic - Air We Breathe

It's actually quite borderline whether I should include this record or not. I remember seeing this being performed on Pebble Mill and enjoying it, that's why I've included it.

After that performance I pretty much forgot about it until I acquired the "Alisha Rules the World" album and ended up liking it more than the other singles from that album. That said the album version is much better than the single version.

Coolio ft 40 Thevz - C U When U Get There

I was such a rave purist in 1997 that I specifically remember pretending to people at the time that I didn't like this record because it wasn't rave.

In reality I loved this record and ended up buying the single. I just gets better as it goes on, I love the final verse to it.


Howie B - Angels Go Bald; Too

Although I was quite dismissive of music below 180bpm at the time I remember thing that this tune had enough oomph in it to like it despite not being as fast as I'd like it to be.

It was the only Top 40 hit for Howie B, but he's quite a prolific producer.

No comments:

Post a Comment