Sunday 29 May 2022

Top 30 in 1992 Reviewed: Week 22

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1992 with my verdict on each record:


This was the UKs Eurovision entry that year. The only previous Top 40 effort for Michael Ball had been "Love Changes Everything". What struck me about Eurovision when I first encountered it was how old fashioned the music all seemed. Picking someone known for musicals to represent the UK just strengthened that perception. The song itself sounds like something I could imagine Gary Barlow singing, which isn't a good thing.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the Christmas number one in 1971 which was charting again a month or so after Benny Hill's death. He actually re-recorded the song for his best of album shortly before he died. It's a novelty record by a comedian and as a result it's a terrible song, but that's the point.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the joint highest charting single for Kingmaker and probably the first song that springs to mind when they're mentioned. It's not a bad record but lacks that certain something to make it a good record.

Verdict - OK


L7 as probably best remembered for their performance on The Word rather than any actual music. In terms of music though they're best known for "Pretend We're Dead", but they actually had 4 Top 40 hits and this was the second. It's a pretty forgettable song really, just noisy guitars and not much else.

Verdict - Rubbish


Proof that Mr Big weren't one hit wonders. This was their follow up to "To Be With You" and is their final Top 40 hit to date. I was a big fan of "To Be With You" but I have no memory of this one. It's another ballad so one for the mainstream rather than the rock fans. I can't help but think if I'd heard this in 1992 then I'd like it, but I find it pretty average.

Verdict - OK


I'm a big fan of Dutch music of the 90s in general. The trouble I have with this record though is that it doesn't sound very Dutch or very 90s for that matter. By my reckoning this is the only Top 40 hit of the 90s by a Dutch act that is neither dance music or a novelty record. That doesn't make it a bad record though

Verdict - Good


This was the Top 40 debut for Cud who are a band I've no recollection of at the time. They were an indie band who had quite a few non-charting singles and have had 3 Top 40 singles to date. Nothing stands out to me about this record, but it's alright I guess.

Verdict - OK


For some reason I associate Curtis Stigers with late 1992 instead of early 1992 which he had his two big hits, this being the second. It's not that it took me a while to discover him as I remember him appearing on Top of the Pops. The nostalgia factor means that I do quite like this record.

Verdict - Good


This was the Top 40 debut for The Future Sound Of London, though member Brian Dougans had previous had a Top 40 hit as Humanoid. It's also their best known record and is probably my favourite record of theirs too. It's got that blend of music you can both dance and chill out to.

Verdict - Good


I remember getting really annoyed that this record made number one and Mr Big hadn't. I absolutely hated this record as a result of that. However I've not really cared how the records I like do in the charts for the bulk of the last 30 years and I still think this record is crap and would have still thought that if Mr Big got to number one instead.

Verdict - Rubbish


Progressive rock has come full circle with this record. The original version by Rare Bird was one of the first progressive rock records to make the Top 40 and here are second wave progressive rockers Marillion doing a cover. I do think the original is better, but this is a decent cover.

Verdict - Good


Wilson Phillips are seen by many as being one hit wonders in the UK but they had a trio of number ones in America. By 1992 though it would seem even their popularity in America was in decline. This was their 2nd highest charting single in the UK and the only one to chart higher in the UK than America. Can't say I think much of it, a bit boring.

Verdict - Rubbish


I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this record as I couldn't remember how it went. I definitely know it after listening though. It's a British R&B record that's written by Don-E himself and could easily pass as an American one which is a good thing.

Verdict - Good


Del Amitri had 3 hits in the Billboard 100 and this was one of them. It was their 4th UK Top 40 hit and lead single from their "Change Everything" album. It's not a bad record but is a bit generic.

Verdict - OK


When Celine Dion did her cover of "The Power Of Love" in 1994 I assumed she was making her Top 40 debut. Turns out she did this song a couple of years earlier with Peabo Bryson. It's from the film of the same name. I do question why cartoon films have to have such depressing songs to accompany them.

Verdict - Rubbish


In the early days of the internet a site about rave music was named after this tune. It would have clips of old rave tunes but they had the first few second of this tune on them first. When I think of old skool rave the year 1992 is the first that springs to mind so it's a bit odd having a tune from 1992 called "Back To The Old School". The rave scene had been going for a few years by this point though. What we have here is an at the time modern rave record with influences of 80s acid house in it and it works pretty well.

Verdict - Good


This was the Top 40 debut for the Levellers and their highest charting single to date. Surprisingly "One Way" never made the Top 40 when first released. This was probably the point where lots of people I knew were getting into the Levellers. I kept changing my mind about them around the time but I certainly appreciate their music a lot more now.

Verdict - Good


As a rule I find it more difficult to identify a tune by the intro than by the chorus. With this record though it's the opposite. The intro with chimes from the clock is how I remember it, the rest of it is forgettable eurodance cheese.

Verdict - Rubbish


After 3 years away from the Top 40, Curiosity Killed the Cat were back with a shortened name and their final Top 40 hit to date. It seems a few 80s acts were having low charting and long forgotten 90s hits around this time, but this one made number 3. It's not for me though.

Verdict - Rubbish


Ce Ce Penitston is known for one song but despite this she managed to score 3 Top 10 hits. This is the 3rd of them and it's a move away from dance music. It was written by Steve "Silk" Hurley, but this just suggests to me he should stick to dance music as this is pretty bland.

Verdict - Rubbish


My memory of this record is going on holiday around this time to the same place I went when the other big Richard Marx hit "Right Here Waiting" was in the charts. I like the record at the time without paying too much attention to the lyrics. Aside from the mystery behind the story I think it also highlights how judgmental some rural communities can be.

Verdict - Good


After they spent a long time at number one with "Stay" Shakespear's Sister followed up with this. I do remember this annoying me at the time, but as it's long forgotten I don't think I've heard it for 30 years. Listening to it now reminds me of how I found it irritating, here's hoping I won't hear it for another 30 years at least.

Verdict - Rubbish


I always feel this record should have been earlier than 1992 for some reason. When I think what else was going on around the time of this record though it makes perfect sense for it to be 1992. It's always been on of those records I've found to be ok but nothing more.

Verdict - OK


I loved this record at the time and still do now. The odd thing is that this was before the scene split into happy hardcore and jungle and this sounds like it's gearing towards what would become jungle yet Slipmatt of SL2 would become one of the pioneers of happy hardcore. The only downside is that after "On A Ragga Tip 97" came out which was faster, it makes this record sound a bit slow.

Verdict - Good


This was the first Top 40 hit from the "Funky Divas" album which I own. It was their 2nd Top 40 hit overall with their debut "Hold On" coming 2 years prior. My memory of this record at the time is that it was out a similar time to "Don't You Worry Bout A Thing" by Incognito. When I first properly got into R&B, En Vogue were one of the first groups I bought albums of

Verdict - Good


This was the Top 40 debut for Ugly Kid Joe. They were a pretty cool band to like at the time as I recall, but very quickly they became uncool. I guess it's hard to tell if they're trying to carry on the legacy of hair metal or fit into the grunge movement. One record I do recall being out at a similar time is "Lithium" by Nirvana and without really knowing the ins and outs I considered them both similar in style. I did consider this to be the better record out of the two.

Verdict - Good


I remember how I find out who made this record. Somebody told me they'd just bought the Kris Kross record and I thought they were talking about Christopher Cross of "Arthurs Theme" fame. Then they played it and I realised it was a completely different act. In theory 2 squeaky voiced kids rapping should be terrible, but this one isn't. The actual tune helps a lot, but they rap it well too.

Verdict - Good


In an era where I have more music available to listen to on the internet but less time to listen to it, I find myself listening to the shortened version of songs most of the time. Not with this one though, I'm more inclined to listen to a longer live version. It's a pretty basic song really but Guns n Roses take it to another level.

Verdict - Good


This one got banned because they didn't get the clearance to sample "Walking In Memphis" the lyrics have been re-written but still sung in the tune of "Walking In Memphis". Being a raver myself, whenever I hear "Walking In Memphis" I find myself singing "Raving I'm Raving" in my head which should give you a clue to what I think of this record.

Verdict - Good


This was the first version of "Please Don't Go" that I heard. The original is by KC & the Sunshine Band, but it's basically a clone of a cover done the same year by Italian act Double You. I do like it, but the other tune "Game Boy" is better. Whilst "Please Don't Go" is a commercial dance record, "Game Boy" is very much a rave record.

Verdict - Good Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 17.5/30, or 58%. There seems to be a lot of average records this week, but we remain above 50%.

No comments:

Post a Comment