Friday 15 April 2022

Goldfrapp @ Royal Festival Hall

Last night saw the end of what I believe to be the longest period of my adult life without seeing any live music. Originally scheduled for the end of the first week of lockdown 2020, the gig celebrating the 20th (now 22nd) anniversary of Goldfrapp's debut album "Felt Mountain" finally happened.

I've seen Goldfrapp enough times now that I can no longer remember how many times I've seen them. One thing I do remember the first time I saw them was drinking expensive beer that tasted of socks. A combination of being older and the fact "Felt Mountain" was a downtempo album meant I decided against drinking beer, so no rant about the rip off beer prices.

As this is the longest I've ever waited for a gig it's probably the one I've given the most thought to prior to it happening. I had this vision of Alison Goldfrapp walking onto the stage with "Lovely Head" the opening track to "Felt Mountain" playing.

That never happened though, the tunes played were not in the order of the album and "Lovely Head" was in fact the last tune they did prior to the encore.

I own every Goldfrapp album and have listened to them all enough times to know them pretty well. What became apparent last night though is that whilst I recognised the tunes, I'd forgotten what many of them were called.

Alison was probably the most talkative I've ever seen her on stage. She normally has very little to say between the songs, but last night she was engaging with the audience asking how far people had travelled to go to the gig. When someone shouted out "Peckham" she asked what bus did they get, which was quite amusing.

In the encore they did a trio of some of the bigger tunes in "Ride A White Horse", "Strict Machine" and "Train". OK I haven't completely forgotten the names. Being more uplifting numbers, we all got off our seats for the first time. A shame it ended after that, but hopefully the latter two were a warm up to a 20th anniversary gig of "Black Cherry" next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment