Thursday 31 March 2022

25 Years Since....March 1997

By March 1997 I had around 100 tapes and CDs to my name, mostly underground rave. There were a few chart singles I was enjoying though:


Eels - Novocaine For The Soul

When I first came across this record I thought wow Will from TFI Friday has made a record. Of course it wasn't really Will from TFI Friday, just a lookalike.

It was one of those tunes I quietly enjoyed. I don't remember anyone talking about it, or Eels at the time. When I got to university they seemed to be everyone's favourite band.

Daft Punk - Da Funk

This was the first UK Top 40 hit for Daft Punk. As they were newcomers in that respect I originally thought they were called Da Funk and the tune was called "Daft Punk" and furthermore I thought that was in reference to the man with the dogs head in the video.

It wasn't long before I realised it was the other way round and thought why would you call yourselves Daft Punk. I like the tune but I also like the video to the point I almost forget the tune is playing.

The Source - You Got The Love {1997}

There have been seemingly an endless number of versions of this record over the years, but this one is the best in my opinion. It's the beats that do it for me in this version.

A memory of this tune at the time was getting into a friend of a friends Ford Orion with all the modifications you can think of including big speakers. This tune was blasting out when I got in the car and I thought good taste. As the journey went on it became apparent he was playing Now 36.

The Divine Comedy - Everybody Knows (Except You)

I liked this tune at the time because I thought it was funny. I still find it funny but it also makes me cringe somewhat at my teenage self. The jist of the song is that he fancies a girl and has told everybody except the girl in question.

I think it's true to say many of us found ourselves in that situation as a teenager. Except in hindsight the girl in question probably did know too.


Pet Shop Boys - A Red Letter Day

25 years later I'm still waiting for that red letter day. To be honest I paid no attention to the lyrics at all at the time, I thought like with most Pet Shop Boys records it was a good tune.

Now I've paid more attention to them I find I can really relate. I think I'll leave it at that though because we'll all have our interpretation of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment