Thursday 4 March 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1967

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: The Four Tops - Seven Rooms Of Gloom

We have more Motown at last. The Four Tops are one of my favourite 60s groups and I've seen them in concert a number of times. The bonus with this particular record is that it's one of their more obscure hits so I only hear it when I want to.

Worst Song: Nancy Sinatra And Frank Sinatra - Somethin' Stupid

This song really irritates me. I think it started when at the end of 1995 we had covers by Mike and Alma from Coronation Street and by Ali Campbell and his daughter Kibibi in the charts around the same time. I've heard more covers than I care to remember, this particular version is also a cover as the original is by Carson and Gaile. I've hated every version I've heard.

Top 40 Review

Now the Motown floodgates have opened. As well as the Four Tops record with have "The Happening" by The Supremes, The Gladys Knight And The Pips debut "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" and the only UK Top 40 hit for Marvelettes  "When You're Young And In Love". All get the thumbs up from me.

Staying with soul music we have Aretha Franklin making her debut with her cover of "Respect" by Otis Redding who himself is in the charts with "Shake". We also have "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley. Again these all get the thumbs up from me.

Elsewhere, one thing standing out to me are chart acts in their second music career so to speak. Most notably we have Traffic and Cream. We also have The Tremeloes without Brian Poole, The Seekers singer Judith Durham with her only UK Top 40 hit "Olive Tree" and you could also count Dusty Springfield who had chart success as part of The Springfields in the early 60s.

The number one record "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" by Procol Harum also fits the above criteria with some members being in The Paramounts who had a solitary hit 3 years earlier. 

With psychedelic rock and sunshine pop in the charts you can tell we're approaching the latter part of the decade now. With this in mind along with a number of Motown records in the charts, does 1967 get a better score than 1966?

Well no, but it equals it though.

Score: 19.5

Table

We have joint leaders then, but I'm hoping another year will knock them off the top so we don't end up with a tiebreak situation:



No comments:

Post a Comment