Sunday 28 February 2021

25 Years Since....February 1996

Time for our second visit to see what tunes I was enjoying in 1996:


Technohead - I Wanna Be A Hippy
 
In 1995 after a mate did me a happy hardcore mix with this record on it, I was singing this all the time and most people thought what the fuck are you singing. 

Then in 1996 I was listening to the Top 40 countdown and this was in it. It was an edited version though leaving out the words "stoned" and "marijuana".

At the same time I was quite sad that suddenly everyone knew a record that only us ravers once knew.

QFX - Everytime You Touch Me

Another rave tune going mainstream, kind of. QFX were pretty well known in the rave scene and this was the first time they appeared in the Top 40.

There was a happy hardcore version being played at raves I particularly liked that I assumed to be by QFX and that this version was a more radio friendly one. Turns out the one I particularly liked was a rip off by Fade & NS.

Dave Clarke - Southside

Back in 1993 I assumed that techno was the type of music 2 Unlimited did given how they repeat the word in "No Limit". Therefore I thought techno was crap.

Becoming a raver though taught me what proper techno music was, this being a great example. I never knew this tune until it went mainstream, but once this was out it gave me confidence that when I'd tell people I liked techno they wouldn't think I liked 2 Unlimited.


Scooter - Back In The UK

Even though Scooter were having hits back in 1996, the only ones who seemed to notice them at the time were the ravers. This is probably my favourite Scooter tune, it lacks the pinky perky vocals they were known for but that may give this record a little bit more credibility. It still has HP Baxxter shouting nonsense though so it's still undeniably Scooter.


Candy Girls - Wham Bam 

My only criticism of this at the time was that it was a bit 1995 even though we were only 2 months into 1996. Any record sounding like it's from 1995 these days though is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment