Sunday 22 November 2020

Top 30 in 1990 Reviewed - Week 47

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1990 with my verdict on each record:

30. Rita MacNeil - Working Man


This song was a decade or so old by the time it charted. It's the unofficial miners anthem, and I assumed it charted thanks to the end of Margaret Thatcher's reign as Prime Minister, but this was actually a month or so before that happened, so I have no idea why it charted at this particular time. Lyrically it's good, but musically it's just not my cup of tea.

Verdict - Rubbish

29. Jon Bon Jovi - Miracle


A Jon Bon Jovi solo record that isn't "Blaze Of Glory", though it doesn't sound that much different truth be told. Not a bad record but nothing to get excited about.

Verdict - OK

28. Bobby Vinton - Blue Velvet


The 2nd Top 40 hit who's title is a colour followed by the word velvet and 2nd to making number two, following "Black Velvet" earlier on in the year. This song was written in 1950 and this version originally recorded in 1963, but it never made the UK Top 40. It's appearance in a Nivea advert prompted a re-release in 1990 and it finally charted. I'm not sure if I was aware it was an old song at the time, but I liked it.

Verdict - Good

27. Soul II Soul ft Kym Mazelle - Missing (New)


The first Top 40 hit for Soul II Soul not to reach the Top 10, but the album had been released a few months prior and got to number one. Kym Mazelle was already an established artist in her own right when this came out. It basically sounds like a Soul II Soul record, which is never a bad thing.

Verdict - Good

26. Paul Simon - The Obvious Child


The only Top 40 hit of the 90s for Paul Simon. The only solo hit from Paul Simon that I like is "You Can Call Me Al", the rest are pretty dull.

Verdict - Rubbish

25. Del Amitri - Spit In The Rain


Del Amitri have a couple of good records, but also have a lot of generic rubbish. This one falls into the latter, there is just nothing to it. Take away the bit where he sings the title and it could be anything.

Verdict - Rubbish

24. Maria McKee - Show Me Heaven


Confession time. At the time I thought Maria McKee and Mariah Carey were the same person, either I thought this song was by Mariah Carey or I thought Maria McKee did "Vision Of Love". Both were ballads and their names are similar(ish) and both were not well known prior to these records. I do feel I was being a bit harsh on Maria McKee though, this is nowhere near as dreary as your average Mariah Carey record. I wasn't keen on it at the time, but have got to like it more thanks to the Happy Hardcore versions a few years later. I don't like it that much though.

Verdict - OK

23. Dream Warriors - My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style (New)


These day's it's hard to listen to this record with it's sample of "Soul Bossa Nova" by Quincy Jones without thinking of Austin Powers. It was a different story back in 1990, a few years before Austin Powers. My main memory of it was mishearing the lyrics, I didn't know what this was called at the time and heard "I've got permission". Still, a good record.

Verdict - Good

22. Roxette - Dressed For Success


Another Roxette record that failed to reach the Top 40 when released the previous year, but made the Top 40 when re-released in 1990. At the time this was probably my favourite Roxette record to date, but I prefer "Listen To Your Heart" these days. Still like it though.

Verdict - Good

21. Inspiral Carpets - Island Head (EP)


The lead song from the EP was "Biggest Mountain". It sounds like the sort of record you'd expect from an Erol Alkan Bugged In Selection. Which is a good thing.

Verdict - Good

20. Whitney Houston - I'm Your Baby Tonight


This song had an American version and a European version. As this is the UK charts I'm going to be reviewing the European version. It was written by L.A. Reid and Babyface and remixed by Yvonne Turner. It's more dancey than the American version, presumably because that's what was more popular in Europe at the time. Doesn't really work for me though.

Verdict - Rubbish

19. Jive Bunny - Let's Swing Again


The Jive Bunny hits just kept coming, but now they were no longer getting into the Top 10. People must have been getting tired of them by now.

Verdict - Rubbish

18. Megabass - Time To Make The Floor Burn


This ones a megamix of dance records of the time. Like I've said previously, the only way a megamix can be truly good is if every tune in it is good. However the chopping and changing this record has means you don't really need every tune to be good, so I like it.

Verdict - Good

17. The Proclaimers - King Of The Road (EP) (New)


It's quite a strange dynamic really, a band who are so blatantly Scottish singing a song that's very American. This was the first version of "King Of The Road" I heard, which was originally a number one for Roger Miller in 1965. Can't say this is really my cup of tea.

Verdict - Rubbish

16. Belinda Carlisle - (We Want) The Same Thing


This was the 5th single from the "Runaway Horses" album. The 1st, "Leave A Light On" peaked at 4, but the next 3 failed to reach the Top 30. This one fared better than the previous 3. I remember my young self wondering how does one dream the same dream as somebody else? I don't mind this record, but it's not one I particularly like either.

Verdict - OK

15. The La's - There She Goes


The only Top 40 hit for The La's which originally was released in 1988 but failed to make the Top 40. They were always a band I associated with Madchester for some reason, even though they were from Liverpool and didn't really sound like the other bands musically either. In the days you could go into Our Price and listen to a CD at the counter, I once listened to The La's album simply because I wanted to listen to this song. I didn't bother with the rest of the album, I simply listened to this.

Verdict - Good

14. Berlin - Take My Breath Away


Originally a number one in 1986, this charted again in 1990 thanks to it featuring on the Peugeot advert. For obvious reasons I keep thinking of Berlin as being a German band, but they're not, they're American. This song basically launched and killed their career at the same time. It was the only song of theirs people wanted to hear but it was also the only song of theirs they didn't write, that honour going to Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock. Never been a fan of this song myself.

Verdict - Rubbish

13. Kylie Minogue - Step Back In Time


I've noticed that there are quite a few old records hitting the charts around this time, so in a way it's quite funny that Kylie Minogue would release a record called "Step Back In Time". It's the usual Stock Aitken & Waterman type crap.

Verdict - Rubbish

12. Rod Stewart And Tina Turner - It Takes Two (New)


It's the king of crap covers doing a crap cover in collaboration with Tina Turner. It must have been the big names that sold this because why anyone would listen to this over the original Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston version is beyond me.

Verdict - Rubbish

11. Julee Cruise - Falling (New)


When a song is most famous for being a theme tune to a TV show it's often crap. Not always though. This was the theme tune to "Twin Peaks", a fact I did not know at the time. To this very day I still haven't watched an episode so to me this is still simply a song, and one I like.

Verdict - Good

10. 808 State - Cubik / Olympic


After a couple of hits with MC Tunes, 808 State released this double a-side by themselves. Despite the heavy guitar presence on "Cubik" it's still very much a dance record, though maybe it could get the rock crowd interested, but great tune nonetheless. "Olympic" is perhaps best known as the theme tune to The Word, that's how I first came across it and always liked it.

Verdict - Good / Good

9. The Beautiful South - A Little Time


This was the only number one hit for The Beautiful South, quite surprising really given they have better known songs. This song really irritated me at the time, I can tolerate it a bit more now but still don't like it. Despite it's success, The Beautiful South would have another Top 10 hit until 1996 after this.

Verdict - Rubbish

8. Jimmy Somerville - To Love Somebody


Another Jimmy Somerville record that's a cover, this time of a Bee Gees record. This is done in a reggae style and I think this was the first version I heard. It's not bad.

Verdict - OK

7. Robert Palmer And UB40 - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight


Before I first heard "Saturday Night" by Whigfield, a girl at school kept singing the words "be my baby". I thought she was trying to sing this, but wondered why as it was 4 years old by then. This was originally a Bob Dylan song covered in typical UB40 style. Which probably explains why I like it.

Verdict - Good

6. Black Box - Fantasy


A cover of the Earth Wind & Fire record. I used to like it, but over time it's started to make me cringe. Had I not bought a Black Box CD several years ago I may have still liked it, but I just can't listen to it anymore.

Verdict - Rubbish

5. EMF - Unbelievable


The normal way to wear a cap was with long bit to the front, but it was cool to wear a cap backwards. EMF singer James Atkin on the other hand wore his cap to the side. Everyone was singing this at the time, but I don't recall the cap wearing style catching on. I was one of those singing it, good record.

Verdict - Good

4. Gazza And Lindisfarne - Fog On The Tyne (Revisited)


I've said this before and I'll continue to say this, football and music just don't mix. Here is Gazza attempting to rap on a remake of a 70s record with the 70s band who made it. Absolutely terrible.

Verdict - Rubbish

3. Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby (New)


I liked this one at the time, but then the following year I became a Queen fan and this famously sampled "Under Pressure". After hearing Brian May say it was crap, I decided it was crap too. I was easily influenced back then. Amongst rap music fans, of which I was one a number of years later, this never had much credibility. Now I'm older and have my own opinions what do I think? Well it is a bit crap to be fair.

Verdict - Rubbish

2. Kim Appleby - Don't Worry


Ever wondered what Craig Logan did after he left Bros? Well here's your answer, he was co-writer on this record. Kim Appleby was of course one half of Mel & Kim, something I didn't realise at the time. Mel had died earlier on in the year and this was Kim's solo debut. She no longer had involvement with Stock Aitken & Waterman, which explains why I quite like this.

Verdict - Good

1. The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody


I remember seeing this video on Top of the Pops and what confused me was that they were called The Righteous Brothers but there was only one of them. I soon discovered there were two of them, but only Bobby Hatfield featured on this particular record. It was originally released in 1965 but was re-released thanks to it featuring in the movie "Ghost". There are lots of versions of this song, but this is the best one in my opinion.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 15/30, or 50%. We remain at 50%.

No comments:

Post a Comment